Lantern Lighting Celebration
Saturday, September 16, 2017
Join us for
Lakewood Cemetery’s third annual Lantern Lighting Celebration, a unique evening
of beauty, remembrance and entertainment for the entire community.
Our Lantern Lighting Celebration is a special event to honor loved ones who have passed away. Enjoy live music and entertainment while you decorate your own candlelit floating lantern with words of remembrance and hope in memory of your loved ones. At dusk we will gather with friends, family and other guests on the shores of Lakewood’s lake to release the lanterns in a beautiful ceremony.
We strongly encourage you to reserve a lantern by registering for the event in advance. Scroll down to register.
Preparation and Gathering, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Decorate your lantern and enjoy entertainment on the shores of Lakewood’s lake. Activities and entertainment will include:
· Art supplies to decorate lanterns
· Live music from local musicians (performers to be announced)
· Food and beverages from local food trucks
streetcar rides by the Minnesota Streetcar Museum, $2 round trip (5:00-8:00
Lighting Ceremony, 7:00-8:00 p.m.
Just before dusk, we will gather near Lakewood’s lake to release our lanterns. As night settles, our individual lanterns will float on the waters, gathering together to bring brightness to the evening.
How to reserve your lantern
We strongly encourage you to reserve a lantern by registering for the event in advance. We will make every effort to have extra lanterns available, but we cannot guarantee a lantern will be available for you if you do not register. We request an optional $5 donation for each lantern (collected at the event). This donation will go toward Lakewood’s Perpetual Care Fund, which ensures the upkeep of Lakewood’s grounds and burial plots for generations to come.
· You are welcome to bring your own folding chairs and blankets for the ceremony.
· Parking is available along roads in the cemetery.
· We encourage you to bring a flashlight or cell phone with a flashlight function, as it will be dark at the conclusion of the ceremony.
· We encourage you to bring printed copies of photos of your loved ones to attach to your lantern. Please note that lanterns will not be returned due to the nature of the event.
· In case of inclement weather, we will post about the status of the event on this registration page and on our Facebook page shortly before the scheduled start time. We will also email all registered attendees.